Makes 6–8 portions.
- 3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (I used 2 bone-in rib-in breast portions, poached, which was plenty)
- 2 cups roasted, peeled, and chopped New Mexico green chile (about 12; could probably substitute 4 green bell peppers and add jalapeños to up the heat)
- 1 26 fl.oz. can cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
- 26 fl. oz. milk (measure using the empty can)
- 2 cups grated cheese
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- green jalapeños to taste, chopped (seeds in or out to taste; I used 4, seeds out, but would leave them in next time)
- ground pepper to taste
- 10–15 corn tortillas, torn into quarters
Layer sauce, tortillas, cheese in casserole dish. (I found this made too much for my 13"x9" pan and had to overflow into a second dish; no big problem, can freeze the excess uncooked.)
Bake at 350°F, 20 minutes covered followed by 20 minutes uncovered.
(From a New Mexico Department of Agriculture promotion; more recipes, although not this one, at their website.)